The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care has reviewed Grey Bruce Health Services’ Stage 3.1 Submission for the new Markdale Hospital and has provided the corporation with approval to move into the next phase of planning.
“This past October, we submitted the first part of our Stage 3 planning to the Ministry,” said Lance Thurston, GBHS, President and CEO. “It’s a very positive sign that only three months later, we have an approval in-hand. This means the Province is onboard with our plans for the new hospital, and we are another step closer to getting a shovel in the ground.”
The Stage 3.2 Submission will expand on and add detail to the recently approved Stage 3.1 architectural, civil, mechanical, electrical and landscape drawings. This next submission includes details on the services for the site, including water and sanitary sewers and hydro, plus plans for the heating and ventilation, plumbing, sprinkler protection and medical gases.
The new hospital will be approximately 68,000 square feet and include four acute care beds, a palliative care room, a 24/7 emergency room with seven treatment areas, a procedures room, laboratory, diagnostic imaging services, physiotherapy and space for ambulatory care clinics.
The total project will cost approximately $63 million. The ministry has committed to funding 90 per cent of what it considers allowable construction costs and the remaining 10 per cent will come through the Centre Grey Hospital Foundation from the community.
Over the next few months the GBHS project team will be working to complete the requirements of Stage 3.2 and seeking Ministry approval to proceed to Stage 4. Stage 4 involves developing contracts, finalizing construction-ready plans, completing and issuing tender documentation, and ultimately, awarding construction contracts.
Construction is expected to begin in 2019, and will take approximately two and a half years to complete.
More information on the new Markdale Hospital project is available at www.gbhs.on.ca.